Flood Recovery Fund Created for the Rike Family
On Monday, July 2, 2018, a band of strong thunderstorms swept through the Pittsburgh region and caused devastating flooding to Fox Chapel and surrounding areas. The victims included Pastor Rike and his family, whose rental house was partially submerged when rushing water from an overflowing creek and a flooded roadway converged. The family is safe, but much of their property and one of their cars was destroyed. They had renter’s insurance but not flood insurance.
Members of the GSLC congregation have shown an outpouring of support, offering prayers, volunteering time to salvage and clean the family’s belongings, and providing temporary housing. In response to inquiries about other ways that people can help, the GSLC Council created a fund at PNC bank for the family. A generous donor has offered to match contributions up to a certain amount, providing an even greater impact for all contributions.
There are four ways to contribute:
- Include a contribution in the regular offering during a Sunday service and note the designation “Rike Family Fund.”
- Give online using the designation “Rike Family Fund.”
- Make a contribution at any PNC branch by providing the teller with the name of the account: “Good Shepherd Lutheran Church of Fox Chapel – Pastor David Rike & Family Fund.” It is important to provide the exact account name to ensure the funds are routed correctly.
- Mail a contribution to GLSC to the attention of the fund:
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church of Fox Chapel
Attn: Pastor David Rike & Family Fund
1610 Powers Run Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Other local organizations are assisting victims and welcome volunteers and donations:
- Neighbors Helping Neighbors Program in O’Hara Township – Individuals interested in volunteering should call the township office at (412) 782-1400 for an assignment helping residents affected by the flood.
- North Hills Community Outreach – The organization is collecting donations of cash and gift cards and is organizing crews of volunteers to help with the cleanup.