Social Ministry News – March 2019
Have you ever wondered whether GSLC’s monthly support of designated organizations makes a difference? The answer is “YES!”
Last month our designated monthly benevolence was Northside Common Ministries (NCM). The director, Jay Poliziani, wanted to share the following information with GSLC Members:
“The Pleasant Valley Men’s Shelter, operated by NCM, recently reached 82% of men moving from the shelter into stable housing, which compares to the average of 42% for shelters in the county. The Northside Community Food Pantry has reached an average monthly distribution of 17,000 pounds of fresh free produce to our food insecure neighbors. People are getting housed and healthier as a result of the support offered to NCM by local congregations like Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. Thank You!”
Below are two upcoming Social Ministry projects where we need your help:
Spring College Student Care Packages
- We will mail the much-anticipated treat packages for college students at the end of March.
- We need donations for the treat boxes. Please place your donations in the marked narthex box. We welcome healthy snacks and sweet treats.
- Please contact the office to update your college student’s address by March 31 if you would like us to send your child a box. Since students move so frequently, we must verify their address. Just email the church office to verify.
Food Bank Easter Basket Project
- The St. Vincent De Paul Food Bank would like Good Shepherd to again fill Easter baskets for the children of their clients.
- Please look for a table in the narthex sometime in March, and pick up a basket (or two) with tags and a shopping list.
- Let’s fill the narthex with dozens of brightly colored baskets for the needy children in our community! More details coming soon…